Friday, April 3, 2015

2015 LENT DAY 39 OF 40 FAMOUS LAST WORDS! 2x2A

Luke 23:32-34

Right before he died, singer Frank Sinatra said, “I’m losing it.” Former British Premier Sir Winston Churchill’s last words were “I’m bored with it all”.  

Actor Humphrey Bogart loved his liquor. His last words were “I should never have switched from Scotch to Martinis.” Circus owner P.T. Barnum last words were “How were the receipts today at Madison Square Garden?” Up to the last minute, he was concerned with ticket sales.

A grammarian’s last words were “I am about to -- or I am going to – die; either expression is correct.”  Another famous grammarian said “I die” and then he died.

Many people like to say nice words to their family members. French Philosopher Jean-Paul Sartre said to the woman he loved, “I love you very much.”

By now you must have noticed the pattern. All of the famous peoples’ last words were about themselves and/or their interests. Now there are some people who made sublime deathbed statements. For example Thomas Becket the Archbishop of Canterbury, said, “I am ready to die for my Lord, that in my blood the Church may obtain liberty and peace.”   At first those words sounds great but note the emphasis in Becket’s  “I” and “my”.

Now the last words of a man can teach us about his life, likes and loves.  On the other hand, Jesus’ seven words on the cross are not about himself. They are about his love for you and me.  Beginning with his first word “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do” all his words on the cross show his love for us sinners. Some of you might ask –what about the fifth verse “I thirst”?  In fact the complete verse says, “After this, Jesus, knowing that all was now finished, said (to fulfill the Scripture), “I thirst.” By stating that He thirsts Jesus fulfilled the prophecies of Psalms 22:15 and 69:21.

Dear brother and sister in Christ: all of the Jesus’ actions and words are focused on two aspects– Jesus’ obedience to His Father and His love for YOU.  Jesus’ birth, life, passion on the cross, blessed death, His rest in the tomb and His resurrection from the tomb are all for YOU.

Even his ascension is for you. You ask how? Let me remind you what Jesus tells his disciples in John 16:7 “Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to YOUR advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to YOU. But if I go, I will send him to YOU.” Even right now Jesus is working, preparing a place for YOU as he tells you “I will come again and will take YOU to myself, that where I am YOU may be also.” (John 14:2).  

So let us rejoice on this Good Friday that God died on the cross loving us. Also, let us obey his new commandment “… love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.” (John 13:34)

Thank you, Lord Jesus, for loving me. Please help me abide in you and love you with all my heart, soul, strength and mind, and my neighbor as myself. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment