Monday, April 3, 2017

Day 29 The Oldest Hymn I Sing! 2X2

Please read Matthew 21:1-11.

In today’s text, we read Jesus’ triumphal entry into Jerusalem. Meditating on the text and occasion, Bishop Theodulf of Orleans, France wrote the hymn in 820 A.D. – almost 12 centuries ago! That too imprisoned! As far as I know, this is the oldest hymn that is sung in churches. (If you know of any that are older please post a reply.)

Bishop Theodulf was falsely accused of not being loyal to King Louis I and was put in prison. One day in prison, he was meditating on the story of Jesus' triumphal entry into Jerusalem. (More on the triumphal entry later) He then wrote a hymn. There is even a legend that King Louis I heard the song and released the Bishop. The current hymn uses music composed in the 16th century and the mid-1800s English translation by John M. Neale.

Enjoy a couple of versions –

Here in one by Sir Cliff Richard (not the best recording) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN_cw2FcFVs


Heavenly Father, I thank you for blessing me with great hymn writers, musicians, and singers who inspire and teach me to praise you. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Love this hymn. Always brings me good memories of my dad. He used to sing it in the car on the way home from church around Easter.

    ReplyDelete