Saturday, February 27, 2016

Please take your time with this – Day16

Handholding 101

Nevertheless, I am continually with you; you hold my right hand. Psalm 73:23

Normally I write about a hymn writer and then I attach videos for you to watch and enjoy. Today I ask you to please take your time to read todays post, watch the videos and above all reflect on the lyrics.

Thomas Dorsey was the son of a Pastor and a piano teacher. Now Thomas loved music, studied music in college and became a famous and successful jazz musician and composer. He played in jazz clubs and slowly drifted away from God. After sometime, Thomas in his early 20s gave his life to Jesus. That meant leaving the jazz clubs and the money he earned playing at the jazz clubs.  But God was with him and he became famous as a writer of hymns.

When Thomas was 33 he received a telegram that his wife died after delivering a baby and that his newborn also died.  Thomas became angry at God and it is said he blasphemed God, but just days later the ‘peace that passes understanding’ came upon Thomas and he composed the hymn Precious Lord, Take My Hand. The hymn has been translated into many languages,  and sung at funerals, including that of President Lyndon B. Johnson and Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. Over 100 artists, including Elvis Presley, Mahalia Jackson, Jim Reeves, Johnny Cash and Aretha Franklin, have covered it.  It also was the first gospel song to sell more than a million copies and now  Thomas is now known as the ‘Father of Gospel Music”.

Dear Friend as you enjoy this hymn and contemplate on its words remember God’s promise
For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, “Fear not,
I am the one who helps you.” (Isaiah 41:13)

Here are the lyrics:

Precious Lord, take my hand,
Lead me on, let me stand,
I am tired, I am weak, I am worn;
Through the storm, through the night,
Lead me on to the light:
Refrain - Take my hand, precious Lord, Lead me home.

When my way grows drear,
Precious Lord, linger near,
When my life is almost gone,
Hear my cry, hear my call,
Hold my hand lest I fall:
Refrain

When the darkness appears
And the night draws near,
And the day is past and gone,
At the river I stand,
Guide my feet, hold my hand:
Refrain

Here are 3 links –

My Lord, My Father, continue to hold my feeble hand and lead and guide me. In Jesus name I ask. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment