Monday, February 29, 2016

You say you ain’t no sinner? Day 17

Sin

In 1998 Rev. Abdiyah Akbar Abdul-Haqq, an evangelist with the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association came to New Jersey to preach at the anniversary celebrations of a New Jersey Indian Church. The celebrations went on for three days and Rev. Haqq stayed in a hotel near the Newark airport and for transportation I volunteered to drive him around. I tell you my friends, I had a great time driving Rev. Haqq around. He answered my many questions with wit and wisdom. One I will never forget. I asked him about Christians who claim they no longer are sinners and, even if they were to sin, they only commit minor sins and not major sins. Rev Haqq’s answer was “Ebenezer, the next time any man tells you that he only commits minor sins and not major, tell him humbly ‘Don’t worry brother you will not go to major-sin hell, you will only go to minor-sin hell.’”

Dear friend, it is true that Jesus died on cross for your sins and my sins. But at the same time you and I cannot say we do not sin. Apostle John makes this clear in 1 John 1. First the bad news, “8 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.” Then the wonderful news “ 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”  But then John leaves us with a caveat, “10 If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.”

So dear friend, if you are believer, ask God as David pleads, “23 Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! 24 And see if there be any grievous way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting!” (Psalm 139:23-24)
And God himself will teach you and lead you. For those of you who don’t know Jesus, and are burdened by sin, please understand that only the blood of Jesus will wash away your sins(more to come)


Abba Father open my eyes to my sins and lead on the path of righteousness. Help me to hold on to your Truth and your Word. For your Son’s sake.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment