Thursday, February 11, 2016

The Demand! Day 2

Repentance 1

46 and (Jesus) said to them, “Thus it is written, that the Christ should suffer and on the third day rise from the dead, 47 and that repentance and forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem. (Luke 24:46-47)

A Peanuts comic strip has Lucy and Charlie Brown practicing (American) football. Lucy is the holder and Charlie is the kicker. Regular readers know that every time Charlie approaches to kick the ball, Lucy picks up the ball and Charlie ends up kicking air and his momentum causes him to fall flat on his back.

So this particular comic strip opens with Lucy holding the ball, but Charlie Brown does not want to kick the ball. Lucy begs him to kick the ball. Charlie Brown says, "Every time I try to kick the ball you remove it and I fall on my back." They go back and forth and finally Lucy breaks down in tears and admits, "Charlie Brown I have been so terrible to you over the years, picking up the football like I have. I have played so many cruel tricks on you, but I’ve seen the error of my ways! I’ve seen the hurt look in your eyes when I’ve deceived you. I’ve been wrong, so wrong. Won’t you give a poor penitent girl another chance?" Charlie Brown is moved by her display of grief and responds, "Of course, I’ll give you another chance." He steps back as Lucy holds the ball, and he runs. At the last moment, Lucy once again picks up the ball and Charlie Brown, as always, falls flat on his back. Lucy’s last words - "Recognizing your faults and actually changing your ways are two different things, Charlie Brown!" 

According to Matthew, Jesus begins his ministry declaring (IMHO demanding) From that time Jesus began to preach, saying, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.”(Matt 4:17).

True repentance is important in a believer’s life. But many do not understand true repentance. Repentance as we can learn from Lucy is not just recognizing our faults/sins. Repentance is entails changing our ways. (More to follow)

So Dear Brother and Sister – let us approach God with a true repentant heart.

Abba! Father! I am grateful that ‘Your kindness leads me to repentance’ (Romans 2:4). Bless me this day forward. In Jesus name I thank and pray. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Pastor Ben,
    There is a good resource in the book by Gary D Chapman and Jennifer M. Thomas, "When Sorry Isn't Enough: Making Things Right with Those You Love" (C) Apr 22, 2013. It also expounds on your point of the distinctions between Repentance, Regret/Remorse, Restitution, Responsibility (taking it) and FORGIVENESS. An earlier edition was entitled, "The Five Languages of Apology."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear John:
    Appreciate the suggestion. I will get the book. There is a lot learn from Jesus and his undershepherds.
    For those of you who don't know John Doderer, he is one of the few Christian Reconcilers in the Northeast. Please pray for John and his ministry.

    ReplyDelete