Thursday, March 22, 2018

If I _____, then what?!? Day 32

Please read John 8:31-36

Today we look at two verses and one word. The verses are John 8:31-32. In the ESV that I use, they go “31 So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, 32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

In the text, we see that Jesus is talking to the new believers in Him. He tells them “if’” the new believers “abide” in his word, there are three consequences (1) they will be known/seen as Jesus’ disciples, (2) they will know “the truth”(Greek aletheia which means ‘that which is true in any matter, situation, or circumstance’) and (3) “the truth” will set them free.

And all of the above is from God (2 Corinthians 5:18) and of course, you are given God’s Word. Earlier in the Gospel of John, Jesus had said, “The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life”(John 6:63). Now Jesus wants us to “abide” (ESV) in His Word. What does he mean by “abide”? The NIV uses the word “hold” and the NASB uses “continue” and they all come from the Greek word meno. The Greek word is a word that is used in reference to a place. It means ‘to sojourn, tarry’ or ‘ not departing, i.e., continuing to be present/held’. The word can also mean ‘not becoming something else’ and used in reference to time ‘to last, endure’.

So how should we abide/hold/continue? We have great examples of Old Testament saints such as Joseph and Daniel who clung to God, holding fast the word of life (and spirit) (Philippian 2:16). They walked wisely (Ephesians 5:15-17), holding on to their faith and good conscience (1Timothy 1:19, 1 Corinthians 16:13) and holding on to what is good (1 Thessalonians 5:21).  They held on to “the truth”  – doing what is good in God’s eyes at all time and in all circumstances, knowing that God is watching them.  

So my dear brother and sister in Christ, do you abide in His Word all the time? What about the times when no one is watching you? Do you still abide in Jesus and His Word?  Always remember, if you abide”, you will be His disciples, knowing “the truth” and you are free!

Dear God, you know my thoughts and my words (Psalm 139:1-4) and even when I try to hide from you like Adam, you know my whereabouts and my actions.  Whenever I try to run away from you, please hold on to me until I come to my senses, repent and hold on to you and your Word. In Jesus name, Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment