Saturday, March 9, 2019

DAY 4- Other(s)-centeredness and Joy


Please read 3 John 1:5-8 and Matthew 22: 34-39

We continue with 3rd John.  Yesterday, I wrote about John’s concern for Gaius’ spiritual health. In 3 John 1:3-4, John talks about Gaius’ faithfulness to the truth” – i.e., the relationship that God has with Gaius and vice versa.  Later in 3 John 1:5-8, John addresses another relationship that all believers should possess and we read that John appreciates that Gaius has this relationship – i.e., love for others. For John, this relationship is evident from the love Gaius has “for the brothers and sisters, even though they are strangers”(NIV). The relationship that Gaius has with Jesus is evidenced in his love, hospitality, and welcoming of others.

Dear sister and brother in Christ, this moment let us consider our own walk in the truth by asking ourselves – do I love my neighbor as myself? Truth and love are indispensable in a believer’s life and they are also inseparable. Remember Jesus himself said, “ You will recognize them by their fruits.” (Matthew 7:16). A believer cannot say 'I love Jesus' and then say 'I hate a brother'. These days, occasionally I meet a so-called believer who tells me he loves Jesus but he can’t stand others. He will also tell me that he does not go to church because it is full of hypocrites and sinners. (In my 20s I used to be one such person, foolishly thinking I loved Jesus. At that time I truly did not love Jesus, because I did not love my neighbor.)

So what should you do if you encounter a person or a church that professes love for Jesus but not for others? As my mentor Rev. Dr. Bill Iverson teaches - speak the truth in love and tell that person he is not walking in the light ( 1 John 1:7). So let’s love others to demonstrate our love for Jesus and life with Him.

“When a Christian shuns fellowship with other Christians, the devil smiles. When he stops studying the Bible, the devil laughs. When he stops praying, the devil shouts for joy.”  Corrie Ten Boom

Dear Jesus, teach me how to love and be blessed by Your Joy. Amen.

1 comment: