Wednesday, March 11, 2015

DAY 19 “Because I live ……” (Video)

1 Corinthians 15:1-26

My family lived in Reading, PA in the 1960s. As a general surgeon my father had great career and financial opportunities in this country but decided to go back to India. It was a period of turmoil and it was also the era of the “God is Dead” thought. The US Supreme Court declared prayer and recitation of the Lord’s Prayer in public schools unlawful. There was revolution in social standards coming to music, drugs, dress, sexuality, race etc. and there were the Vietnam War protests. When asked why he left America my father would reply, “ I didn’t want my sons to grow up in that culture.” 

And it was during this time a young couple, named Bill and Gloria, was expecting a third child. Life in the US looked gloomy for the couple. Bill was sick with mononucleosis. Gloria along with some of her fellow church members faced false accusations and belittlement. Simply put, life was hard. Gloria would wonder ‘Who in their right mind would bring a child into a world like this? The world is so evil. Influences beyond our control are so strong. What will happen to this child?’

However one bright sunny spring day Bill and Gloria noticed a tiny blade of grass growing in a paved parking lot. Inspired by the grass’ resolve to live in unfavorable conditions and reminded of the hope of Resurrection, Gloria wrote a song and Bill set it to music. And the lyrics go-

God sent His Son, they called Him Jesus,
He came to love, heal, and forgive;
He lived and died to buy my pardon,
An empty grave is there to prove my Savior lives.

Because He lives I can face tomorrow,
Because He lives all fear is gone;
Because I know He holds the future,
And life is worth the living just because He lives.

Dear brother and sister in Christ, the song is Bill and Gloria Gaither’s famous gospel song “Because He Lives”. The song is an inspiration to many all over the world.  

Coming 1 Corinthians 15, the chapter is devoted to the doctrine of Resurrection.   Without the resurrection of Christ, Christianity would have beeen just another religion and not The True Faith. But you and I have the hope of eternal life because Christ promises us Because I live, you also will live.” (John 14:19)

So let’s be thankful that our loving Father sent His only Son to die for our sins and rise for our eternal life.

Abba, Father I thank you for assuring me my resurrection because Jesus rose from the dead. In His name I thank and pray. Amen.


In case you haven’t heard the song - 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oz_caE8oQE

1 comment:

  1. Hadn't heard this song, that I can remember. Thanks so much for sharing it. And for the encouraging thoughts that we shall also live, because He lives!

    ReplyDelete