Friday, March 27, 2015

DAY 33 “CHRIST HATH REGARDED MY HELPLESS ESTATE” (VIDEOS ATTACHED)

Romans 8:35-39

Horatio Spafford had everything a man would want and dream. He was a wealthy attorney living in a magnificent home in Chicago.  He and his wife Anna had four daughters and a son. Devout Christians, the Spaffords’ had powerful and famous friends including the great evangelist D.L. Moody, whom they financially supported.

As we all know, even the rich and the powerful are not immune to tragedy. First Horatio’s young son died. Then the Great Chicago Fire destroyed most of his real estate investments.
 
Stressed out, the family decided to go on a vacation to relax and recuperate. They decided to go to England so they could also join D.L. Moody’s evangelism efforts. On the day of the travel, Horatio had to take care of some unforeseen business matters. So he sent his wife and daughters on the trip hoping to join them soon. However, tragedy struck again. The ship that carried Anna and the four daughters was struck by another ship. 226 people including the four Spafford girls died. Only Anna survived.  When she landed on the English soil, she sent a telegram* to Horatio.

Horatio boarded a vessel to join and console his wife in England. On the way he spent hours on the ship’s deck when his ship came close to the waters where his daughters drowned. At that time on the sea he wrote a song that goes like this -

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well with my soul.

Chorus:
It is well (it is well),
with my soul (with my soul),
It is well, it is well with my soul.

Dear brother and sister in Christ: The song that Horatio penned is the famous hymn ‘It is well with my soul’ that comforts many. Personally, I love the fourth stanza-
For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.

Jehovah Jireh, I thank you for providing me your peace that passes all understanding (Philippians 4:7) so that I can always look up to Christ Jesus and not the world that drags me down. Amen!

In case you do not remember the hymn, here are two videos. The first is a version I like with photos and narrative. Please watch it.
The second video portrays the way we sing in Church.


No comments:

Post a Comment