Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Day 24 FROM A DISTANCE? NOT!

Isaiah 7:14 & Matthew 1:23

In 1991 Bette Midler’s song  ‘From a distance’ won the Song of the Year Grammy. Its chorus goes like this- ‘god is watching us, god is watching us, god is watching us, from a distance.’ In fact that’s what all major religions, except Christianity teach - the gods are far, far away in their own worlds and they are watching people to see how they live their lives – if people do good works the distant gods are pleased.
           
Sometimes the gods come down to the earth and reward the good. The good go to heaven because their good deeds outweigh their bad and the bad go hell because their bad deeds outweigh the good. Many people worship these gods and believe in the teaching that the good are rewarded. But my question is- if I am good why do I need god?

The Bible on the other hand teaches, ‘God creates us and then does not walk away from it. He loves us and cares for us sinners, so He came to live in it with us. He promised us, ‘I’ll never leave you, nor will I ever forsake you. I’ll be with you always.’ So He gave us His Spirit to be our Helper.’

We are saved by God’s grace through the faith that God has given us. And He did not do this from some far off place – God lived with us. And there is more – because of Immanuel – we are given the right and privilege to call God the Father ‘Abba! Father!’ No other religion gives you the right to call its gods or goddesses father or mother.

So let's love our God with all our heart, soul, strength and mind.

Dear God, I thank you for giving me your Spirit and making my body your temple.   In Jesus name I pray. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment