Saturday, March 28, 2015

DAY 34 “BUT FIRST, SHOULDN’T I ……..”

John 6:35-37 & Psalm 51:10

Charlotte was born on March 18, 1789 in Clapham, England. She was a portrait artist and a humorist. For the first thirty years of her life, she lived such a life of excess that she was called “Carefree Charlotte”. Then suddenly at age 30, Charlotte became seriously ill and was confined to her bed in pain.  Bitter and despondent, she was upset with God.

Two years later, one of her father’s friends came for dinner. He was Dr. Caesar Malan, a pastor and evangelist.  At dinner, a bitter Charlotte made horrible comments. Dr. Malan told her, ‘come as you are to the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world.’ And he taught her about Jesus’ redemptive sacrifice for her – Charlotte, the sinner. This teaching of Dr. Malan was the opposite of what she had heard about Jesus all her life- pray more, study scripture more and do more. Charlotte was moved so much by Jesus’ grace and sacrifice that she always celebrated that day as her spiritual birthday.

Charlotte never regained her health. But her faith and hope in our Lord and Savior never wavered. She wrote around 150 hymns to celebrate her faith. Her favorite hymn reflected Dr. Malan’s teaching. And the hymn begins -

Just as I am, without one plea,
But that Thy blood was shed for me,
And that Thou bidst me come to Thee,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Some hymns are well known for their poetic content; some hymns for their grand and magnificent music. Then there is Charlotte Elliot’s ‘Just as I am’.  The hymn, simple in word and music, is now well known as the hymn that brought more people to Jesus than any sermon. It is called the ‘greatest soul-winning hymn’. It simply teaches – ‘Come to Jesus with all your faults, transgressions, afflictions, problems and burdens. Jesus will pardon you, cleanse you, relieve you and accept you.’

Dear brother and sister in Christ: I don’t know your situation. I don’t know your trials, tribulations and temptations. I don’t know what you are doing right now. In fact in this internet age, I might not know who you are. But I know this  for sure - Jesus knows YOU and He loves sinners like YOU and me.

So let’s turn and come to Jesus and he will forgive us and create a new heart in us.


Dear Lord Jesus, you are my true friend and savior. Help me to come to you without any fear. Let your light shine on me so that I can be the light of the world. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment