Thursday, March 26, 2015

DAY 32 I AM GLAD IT’S A DONKEY! – ARE YOU GLAD?

MATTHEW 21:1-10

As a child, I would ask my parents for gifts, toys, clothes etc. I would also pray to God for the items  because my mother would tell me ‘ask God and he will give you the gift.’ You probably did the same. Also, I did ask and pray for pets – you probably did too. But I don’t think anyone of us prayed “God I want a donkey.” People don’t care about donkeys. They are considered lowly. And Telugu speaking people are familiar with the following- whenever I behaved bad, my father and my grandparents would call me ‘gadidha(donkey)’.

Coming to Matthew 21, we read about Jesus’ triumphal entry into Jerusalem. And the people shout, Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!” But the perplexing thing is the Blessed One is coming on a donkey! This fulfills what is written in Zechariah 9:9your king is coming to you; righteous and having salvation is he, humble and mounted on a donkey”.  Still…

Think about that- God is sending His Son on a donkey- a lowly creature in our minds! That might seem strange to us, but Jesus coming on a donkey does matter and in fact we should be thankful that Jesus comes on donkey.

During Old Testament times, a king had two types of transportation. One mode was the king came on a donkey. It meant that he came in peace. In I Kings 1:38 we see Solomon riding King David’s donkey to be anointed as the new king of Israel.  On the other hand, a king would use a horse to travel. Whenever he came on a horse – people would be afraid because that signified serious matters. The king was coming for a war – he was coming to conquer, judge and punish.

Dear brother and sister in Christ: you all know that Jesus is coming back. But do you know how he will come?  Apostle John tells us in Revelation 19 – 11 behold, a white horse! The one sitting on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he judges and makes war. … 14 And the armies of heaven, arrayed in fine linen, white and pure, were following him on white horses15 From his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations, and he will rule them with a rod of iron. He will tread the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God the Almighty. 16 On his robe and on his thigh he has a name written, King of kings and Lord of lords.”

So why does God sending his Son on donkey matter? It matters because, right now, our King of kings Jesus is still coming to us on a donkey bringing salvation and peace. But one day he will come on His horse to judge and to make war. Now the question is - will you and I be “ready”(Matthew 24:44) when Jesus comes again on His horse?

Lord Jesus, help me to set my eyes on you only so that I will be ready when you come in all your glory! Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment