Tuesday, March 31, 2015

DAY 36 NOT PUNISHED! (OR) “GRACE, MERCY, AND PEACE FROM …..” Part 2

1 Timothy 1:2

Yesterday’s post (no. 35) was about grace. In that post’s story, Chuck Swindoll writes about his father, “he gave me what I did not deserve. The birthday dinner was grace.”  Just above those words, Chuck tells us about his dad spanking him and writes, “He gave me what I deserved earlier.”

Chuck’s father is an earthly father. He gave 13-year-old Chuck what he deserved. But our Heavenly Father is unique. Our Gracious Father does not give us what we deserve. You and I should be punished for our sins- that is what we deserve- but our sins are forgiven by Jesus’ blood.

God NOT giving you and I what we deserve is called God’s MERCY.

Yesterday I wrote about Grace. The definition of grace is free and unmerited favor of God. However in order to truly comprehend grace, we need to understand mercy because God’s Mercy is at the heart of God’s Grace. God in His mercy forgives us our son and in His grace he saves us.

So I ask you dear brother and sister in Christ: Are you afraid of a sin or sins that you committed? Are you burdened by the fear that God is angry with you? Do you think that God will punish you for your sin(s)?  “Take heart”(Psalm 27:4 NIV) Many scriptures such as But as for me, I will come into Your house in the multitude of Your mercy...(Psalm 5:7 NIV)” teach us about our Merciful Father. What ever your sin might be, repent and turn to God through Jesus, the beautiful Savior. For the sake of Jesus, God will save you- His beautiful creation- by His grace.

Also, if you don’t remember anything that I wrote the past few weeks that is ok. But please remember this –
God’s grace is a free gift for all sinners. We did not anything, to deserve grace.
God’s mercy is not about fairness; it is about you and I sinners not getting what we deserve.
God is not looking for ways to keep you from His presence. On the contrary, our loving God himself made a way for you to reach Him. And that way is Jesus. (John 14:6)

So let us, with humble and repentant hearts seek mercy. Also, let us live showing mercy to others. And let’s never forget this beatitude - “Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.” (Matthew 5:7)

O Lord, If you were not a merciful God, where would I be? Please help me understand your grace and your mercy. Amen.   

No comments:

Post a Comment