Monday, March 27, 2017

I am not Alone! Day 23

Please read psalm 23

I don't have to tell you about Psalm 23. The well-loved psalm, written by King David, provides comfort to many Christens all over the world. During funerals, I have seen people burst into tears at the reading of the psalm.  Even non-Christians are familiar with the psalm.

Today we will look at a part of verse 4. The verse begins with " Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death…". I have used this phrase to comfort and counsel people, especially those who think they are in trouble and wonder if God left them. I ask them to read Psalm 23 aloud and then ask them to read verse 4 again. I then point to the "I will fear no evil, for you are with me", part and then I say something like this---
Let's say you are on the top a hill. At one time the hill had been green but is now dry and barren. Standing on the hill you see a higher, verdant hill. Wondering how you can leave the barren, dry hill you ask God to take you to the taller hill. You might ask God to magically take you over to the other hill. What does God do? He does not do that. Then you ask Him to give you wings to fly over. Again God does not answer your prayer. Then you beg for a bridge or cable car, but God provides neither. Then in desperation, you decide to go to the other hill. So you get off the dry, barren hill and you encounter ‘the valley of the shadow of death' between the hills. You have been warned about the valley. The valley might look cool and shady with the grand, tall trees and green foliage, but the valley is full of vicious animals and robbers who are waiting to take your life. You are walking thinking you are alone, but the truth is as David tells us -God is with you. Also, note and be comforted, you are not going to be forever in the ‘the valley of the shadow of death', you are walking through the valley.

Dear brother and sister in Christ: wondering right now or have you ever wondered why you are in a valley and God is nowhere to be seen? Verse 4 is there to comfort you that you are just walking through the valley and God is walking with you holding your hand. So praise this God about whom Joshua teaches, "He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed." (Deuteronomy 31:6).

Dear God: whenever I am in a valley, I tend to focus on the darkness, drudgery, and doom. Also, I forget that You are with me, holding my hand, and at times carrying me as You lead me to a higher, safer hill. And after I reach the hill, I do not thank You and sometimes ignore You. Please forgive me for the sake of Jesus. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment