Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Omni-what? (Part 1) Day 12

Please read Psalm 139:1-6 and Isaiah 40:9-31

Isaiah - writing about the greatness of God - asks,  “Whom did he consult, and who made him understand? Who taught him the path of justice, and taught him knowledge, and showed him the way of understanding?” (Isaiah 40:14). Fundamentally, Isaiah is teaching us that God knows everything. Nobody teaches God– He possesses intimate and detailed knowledge of all His creation including you and I. This knowledge is called Omniscience. It is an attribute that belongs only to God.  

In the first six verses of Psalm 139, David also tells us that our God knows you and I completely. Not just David, Apostle John writes, “he knows everything” (1John 3:20). We are warned “talk no more so very proudly, let not arrogance come from your mouth; for the Lord is a God of knowledge, and by him actions are weighed” in 1 Samuel 2:3.

So from the Bible we learn that God is omniscient, i.e. he knows all things, past, present and future. David makes this clear coming to actions, “You know when I sit down and when I rise up;” and thoughts “you discern my thoughts from afar” (v. 2). Writing “Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether r (v.4)” David admits that God knows more about our thoughts and actions than we ourselves know about them. Finally, he confesses, “Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high; I cannot attain it.” (v.6)  

God knows everything – our actions, our thoughts, our words etc., because he is our creator, our redeemer and our master. Paul makes this clear, You are not your own, 20 for you were bought with a price” and then instructs us “So glorify God in your body”(1 Corinthians 6:19-20). While it is wonderful that all of us glorify God when others are around, the question that needs to be answered is ‘What do you and I  do when nobody is watching us?’

Dear brothers and sisters in Christ: most of us recognize and understand the truth about God’s omniscience but at the same time we act as if we can keep secrets from God. But God knows, yet he forgives us of such thinking and secret sins whenever we turn to Him.  

Heavenly Father, please forgive my imprudence whenever I sin, thinking that no one is watching me. Forgive me for the sake of Jesus. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Thankful that He knows us and we have confidence in Christ. Provided by Him...because He knows us.

    ReplyDelete