Thursday, March 30, 2017

In God we trust! Day 26

Please read Psalm 56:1-7.

In 1 Samuel 21, David flees a vindictive King Saul and goes to a place called Gath. It is the last place we expect David to go and live, because of its most famous (deceased) resident, who is introduced in 1 Samuel 17:4- “a champion named Goliath of Gath”. David realizes the danger to his life in Saul’s kingdom, yet trusts God to live in Gath the city of Philistines, his enemies. In Gath, David writes Psalm 56, with the title/superscription, A Miktam* of David, when the Philistines seized him in Gath.

Unlike other psalms with imprecatory language, where David begins making a case against his enemies, he begins this psalm with an appeal to God for His Mercy. And then he asks God to protect him from enemies. Three times he praises God’s word that comforts him, and three times he writes that he trusts God. (The exact phrase “In God I Trust”(v. 4) is the source for the official motto of USA. Interestingly, at least for me, the phrase from Psalm 56 has been adopted in 1956.) First, he says “in God I trust;” and then affirms his faith and trust in God by writing I shall not be afraid.” In verses 5 and 6, David shows that he knows his enemies very well and their unrelenting zeal to kill him. In spite of that, he says “What can flesh do to me?” because he trusts God and His Word.

Dear brothers and sisters in Christ, you and I might not have mortal enemies like those of David but we do have an adversary as Peter warns, “the devil (who) prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour”(1 Peter 5:8)”. Yet we should not fear because Jesus is with us.

Thank you God for being a wall of fire all around me and that your light, love righteousness and glory dwell in me. Equip me and lead me so that people will see my good deeds and praise you in heaven. In Jesus’ name. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment